Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spinach and mizuna pizza!


Sorry the picture is awful, I lost my camera so I had to take it with my phone!

Today I spent a couple of hours figuring out how to use up some of these 7 (!) kinds of leafy greens. Going with my half-idea from yesterday... the sauce on the crust is a freshly pounded kale pesto. Sadly my arms were too tired to keep going with the mortar and pestle so it is pretty chunky. But man was it delicious! I used this pesto recipe: http://www.twice-cooked.com/2012/02/12/vegan-kale-pesto/ but with sunflower seeds instead of walnuts.

Topped it with some torn mizuna and spinach, a few small dollops of crushed tomatoes, and some sweet potatoes (sliced to 1/8th inch, they take about 10 minutes to cook, since my crust bakes in 8 minutes I had to pre-cook them a bit) to counteract the bitterness. Finished it off with a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a turn of the Italian herbs grinder.

The good news: All of us really liked eating this pizza, it tasted great and we felt good about the amount of vitamins and minerals we were probably getting from all of the leafy greens. We thought maybe a little more tomato would be better, just to add some moisture. Maybe I'll redo it with fresh ones when we get them ;)

The bad news: Not only did this barely scratch the surface of my mizuna or spinach (I did use all the kale though), but I still have the other 4 greens left. Maybe I should have made 3 pizzas! I hope some more people will share their ideas for this week's crop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment