Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Kale, Peppers, Onion, & Apple


Dinner tonight focused on using up the last of last week's kale, as well as some peppers (1 orange bell pepper and 1 yellow, plus 1 jalapeño) that had seen better days.  In lieu of a recipe, here's how I threw this all together. 

I sliced an onion and the peppers, minced some garlic,  and threw it all into a sauté pan with some olive oil.  After letting the onions carmelize a bit, I added the kale (handful by handful, letting it cook down to fit in the pan).   As the vegetables started sticking, I added some water.  A quick taste confirmed that that jalapeño was REALLY hot.  (I had included the seeds.)  The flavors needed balancing, so I added some seasoned rice vinegar.  The sour was a welcome addition, but it needed a bit more sweetness to round things out.  So, I diced an apple and threw that in.  Then I let it cook with the cover on until the apples softened.  Turned out great.  It was gone before I had a chance to take a picture.

1 comment: