Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kale Salad

In the summer, I eat a lot of raw food. It's just too hot to turn on the stove in my un-air conditioned house located on a concrete island, so I have amassed many great recipes for meals sans cooking.

This kale salad recipe was given to me by Baltimore Health Coach (Luke and Richele are awesome and has forever changed the way I look at food). They explained that the acidity of the lemon and the saltiness of the soy sauce breaks down the kale, so after letting the salad sit for a while, the greens become soft and tender. I have served this to people who swear they do not like kale, but they love this salad. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 large bunch kale, chopped
3 Tbsp. tahini
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. maple syrup (or honey)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Mix all the above ingredients except the kale in a small bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the kale and mix well until the dressing incorporates with the kale. If needed, add salt to taste.

Let salad mix sit for at least 30 minutes. For best results, let sit overnight in the fridge and serve chilled.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to share my all-time favorite salad dressing - the Hollyhock dressing. It's a different kind of salad dressing than the usual vinaigrette or ranch, and adds an interesting texture to salads (especially greens/lettuce salads). It's a great source of vitamin B (side note,riboflavin may make your urine yellow). There are several different "versions" online each with different proportions. Here is one of them: http://freerangeliving.blogspot.com/2008/01/things-i-love-hollyhock-yeast-dressing.html

    I usually use a lot LESS canola oil, and I also add balsamic vinegar. Garlic is a nice addition also. Nutritional yeast flakes is available at wholefoods or healthfood stores. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete