Thursday, June 7, 2012

Garlic Scape Pesto


The first time I saw garlic scapes I had no idea what to do with them. Turns out they can be made in to a great pesto to be used as a base on pizza or as a pasta sauce. Give it a try!
Garlic Scape Pesto
(from: http://www.mikekostyo.com/blog/2011/6/14/garlic-scape-pesto.html)
ingredients
+ 6-7 garlic scapes, chopped roughly to fit in your food processor
+ 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted or untoasted, your call
+ 4-5 medium basil leaves
+ 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
+ 1/2 teaspoon salt
+ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
+ juice from half a lemon
+ olive oil, about 3/4 to 1 cup

recipe
Place the 6-7 scapes, 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, 4-5 basil leaves, 1/4 cup Parmigiano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and juice from half a lemon in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse a few times until the ingredients are roughly mixed and chopped.
Now, with the processor running, slowly pour the olive through the feed tube. Keep pouring and processing until the mixture is a thick and spreadable, yet not completely smooth.
To store, transfer the pesto to a container and pour a thin layer of olive oil on the top to seal. Store in the refrigerator or freezer. Serve pesto on crusty bread or mixed into spaghetti noodles with a bit of the hot pasta water added.
makes about 1 cup of pesto

4 comments:

  1. I use them like green onions and I keep them in a glass of water on the window cill. Not sure if that is the best way to keep them but I use them fairly fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally should have seen this a week ago, I stumbled upon a similar recipe and made it a few nights ago... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great. I didn't have pumpkin seeds, so I used walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this on Tuesday and it was great. We used pine nuts instead of pumpkin seeds and I added some lemon zest.

    ReplyDelete